Monday, March 31, 2008

NOTHING to do with cooking

So every parent has their tools that they survive by. Some are passed on by friends and family. Others learn the hard way... and sometimes it falls in your lap somehow. (I like to think God sent it my way) Well I figured this was a perfect way to share the tools and resources that we as the Kenitzer household live by swear by. They have saved our lives at one point or another. They have also helped us to be better people and in turn better parents and spouses. If nothing else they add freshness to our every day living. If you have any to add to the list please do.




BOOKS FOR PARENTS:

Tender Mercy For A Mother's Soul by, Angela Thomas Guffey

I am currently borrowing this one from the library I will own it soon though. The first chapter made me cry like a baby... I don't cry too easily. It is uplifting and encouraging. Even if you do not feel like you are particularly drained I still suggest that you read it. I am going to start buying it for new Mom's as "the perfect gift" it is a blessing that happens to be bound and have pages.


Cure For The Common Life by, Max Lucado

The title pretty much explains this one. I never thought that my life was particularly boring, but when you do the same things ever day... it can seem that way. Well I picked this one up at the library also. I am very pleased with it. Very simple easy reading. I find it encouraging and some what of a self help/self finding book. If you are perfect and have already discovered your entire self, you do not need this book.


Wonder Time -this is a MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION

It is different. Not the generic parents or parenting. Nothing against either of those, but this one has different ideas, things I have never thought of. From decorating, games, activities, meals and suggestions. I actually read it cover to cover unlike the others I check out the pictures and read a few bits here and there. This one is really worth the money. I got mine from a friend Kelli. If you can not find it and are interested check it out online at wondertime.com




BOOKS FOR COUPLES:

The Five Love Languages by,Gary Chapman

There are thousands of versions of this book. Some geared at teenagers, toddlers, and singles. My husband and I are slowly but surely reading through the one mention above. If your marriage and or spouse is at all important to you, you simply have to read this. I constantly ask God why he made men and women so different. This book does not work miracles or change the facts, but it has opened both of our eyes helping us to better understanding and communicate with one another. Who does not want to understand what their spouse is saying, and meaning!


Love & Respect by, Dr Emerson Eggerichs

This is the book me and some other wonderful ladies are going through, also slowly but surely, in our weekly meetings with one another. It is one of those books that will test you though. So if you are not ready to change and see yourself and your spouse in a different more Godly light... this also may not be for you. But when you think you are ready, it will move mountains and open doors bringing new life into your marriage.


Devotions For Couples (the one year book of) by, David & Teresa Ferguson

This one was a gift. It is broken up into bite size devotions 365 in all. One for each day, just think of it as a vitamin. Although I personally do not get around to reading it every day... you know that thing called real life... but when I do make the time to read this and add it to my hectic day, it is always well worth it. Also highly suggested to boost that marriage. When marriage is good... other things are too. I know the boys know where I am going with this.




BOOKS FOR CHILDREN of all ages:

Amelia Bedelia, byPeggy Parish

There are over a dozen different stories. I started reading these when I was in elementary school. They were so good I remember them to this day. I have to buy them when we see them at the used book store or library. The whole premise is that Amelia is a maid for cute couple. Amelia is given tasks and chores to do and always takes everything literally... For example she is asked to make a sponge cake for a luncheon. She uses an actual sponge for the cake. Everything of course works out :) The illustrations are great too. I read them to Paisley even though she doesn't get them yet, I love laughing and enjoying them myself.


Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by, Bill Martin Jr & John Archambault

The colorful pages on this book are amazing. So bright! This is Paisley's favorite book. She turns the pages and then starts all over again. We were actually given this by a good friend of mine, but if not we would have boughten it ourselves it is that good. Another book from my childhood I never forgot about. It is an alphabet book in disguise so it is a must have for all children.


The Poky Little Puppy by,Janette Sebring Lowrey

This one is just too cute. Paisley giggles and dances through this entire book every time. Not really sure why, other than it is so cute. But none the less it is a great one to own. This one also was a wonderful gift from a wonderful family. We read it often and love it every time!


Kid Builders building healthy bodies & growing minds

JACKPOT!!! ok this book will need some explaining so bare with me.
A special friend of mine Jenna found this at her local library FOR FREE...
The book that I have is geared towards newborn to 2 years of age. Then the next is 3-5 I and so on. Each book is color coated by topics: mind builders, body builders, safety builders, word builders, relationship builders and health builders. Under each topic is about two dozen pages of ideas tips and suggestions of how to build each. Some are things that you may already know but I bet there is something in there that you have not thought of yet! It is free so why not add something new to your every day cycle of helping your little ones grow. Not sure why the Pediatricians do not hand these out... I am going to suggest that!

No comments: